Sunday, November 25, 2007

Christmas Songs

At church on Thanksgiving we sang "O Come O Come Emmanuel", it was the first Christmas song I've sung this season. It is a great song, the words are so meaningful. Having grown up in a church full of hymns and liturgy, I really wished we could sing more "contemporary" songs because they were more fun and "cool". But now I find myself wanting the meaningfulness of those same hymns. I honestly have a hard time singing much of contemporary worship because I find it not being anything more than just words on my lips. I might as well be singing the latest top 40 song in the car. Anyway, read the words to "O come O come Emmanuel"... such a picture of anticipation, dependance and worship!

4 comments:

TheLudlows said...

I agree Sarah. I was the same way on the cool songs and now love the theology in the hymns. One of my "new" favs is Joy to the World.

Charissa

Unknown said...

Hey Ludlows,
Actually one of the cool things about Joy to the World is that it's not entirely a Christmas song. I haven't looked up all the verses, but it moves from Jesus' birth to his reign and kingdom. Definitely one of my favorite hymns as well.

And I think we sang "O Come O Come Emmanuel" at Urbana 2000, which I thought was cool as well since it was another song that wasn't just about his birth but about so much more.
Good post!

JNoble said...

Wow, you got a comment out of Seth, you must have hit a nerve! ;) Love you Seth!

Holly and I searched high and low for a hymn based church. We are convinced that it is not our generation that want a contemporary service but the people who are 35-45. I think a majority of our generation loves hymn and would genuinely enjoy a hymn service. I will stop here, it really gets me going once I get on my soap box about "cool" worship based church.

Lindsee Lou said...

Just wanted to tell you to stop by my blog and read about the facebook scam. It's not been fun!!

Thanks, friend!

Lindsee