Saturday, August 9, 2008

Shall We Dance?

"Dance as if no one is looking"...that is such a cliche saying that finds itself on posters and coffee mugs and little plaques you hang in your house. Those types of modern attempts at being profound and deep usually get a quick eye-roll from me before I dismiss it. But, the other day I realized a profound truth in those 7 words.

There is a little girl that goes to our church who has downs syndrome. She is probably 5 or 6 years old and really cute. Her parents are so patient with her and really very loving. We are often in the same worship service as this sweet family. We sit in the back of the auditorium, and they sit in the front. So, I have the opportunity of watching this family as they arrive and take their seats. As the songs begin, this little girl assumes her place in the very front aisle so that she has plenty of room to dance and twirl and clap her hands. I have found myself annoyed at her behavior and at her parents for not "controlling" her a little better. But, the other week something clicked for me. This little girl was worshiping. She was worshiping with utter abandon...quite literally "dancing as if no one was looking"...except Jesus. If only I approached the Throne like that - with utter abandon...leaving behind my inhibitions that often keep me from going to the Throne. You see, I- we- often feel like we need to have it all together. That we need to only share the "good" parts of us - present God with the presentable me. The me that has showered and gotten ready for the day.

I don't believe that is how God intended us to live. How freeing would it be to worship with abandon? I recall the time Jesus was dining at a Pharisees home when a prostitute crashed the party, wept on Jesus' feet and washed them with really expensive perfume. How embarrassing! But, what did she have to lose? Her dignity, her place in society, her reputation? She actually left her encounter with Jesus having gained the most valuable treasure there is...eternal life with him in heaven. I think that her lack of pride, her absolute abandon for protecting herself is what grabbed Jesus' heart.

Is there anything more precious than presenting ourselves fully and without inhibition to God as a holy sacrifice?

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

great post! what a challenge for Christians to overcome the constrains of society, of culture, to worship our Lord and Saviour in truth and purity. Reminds me of the chorus from Casting Crown's song, "Somewhere in the Middle": "Fearless warriors in a picket fence, wreckless abandon wrapped in common sense"

Unknown said...

This post reminds me of Jackie Kendall in "Lady in Waiting" who talks about reckless abandonment for Jesus. I love seeing people and children worship like that. I love to watch people worship. This post really blessed me.

TheLudlows said...

Amen

lfhcreative said...

Watching that sweet little girl dance and worship is often my favorite part of church. :) I wish I could let go of all the thoughts in my mind, and my own concern for my "image" and dance right along with her.