Tuesday, January 30, 2007

planning a vacation...

One of the hard parts about Paul's job with InterVarsity and my job with the Office of Admissions at Texas Tech is that we often have to travel...not together. The plus side of that is the frequent flyer miles. At least once in a 12 month period we both receive free airline tickets which, needless to say, is very helpful when one who doesn't have a lot of money wants to go places they've never been. Last year, we got to go to Cabo San Lucas. This year, we are planning a trip to Washington DC. Neither one of us have ever been to our nations capitol. The absolute bonus of this is...we have friends who recently moved out there (here's a shout out to Seth and Kristen). SO, as any trip planner would do, I immediately got on the internet to research every aspect of our vacation from what to do, where to go, etc. I had this great idea (actually my mom had this great idea) that we should take a train to New York City for a few days of our vacation. Now, this trip is going to be relatively inexpensive...the whole reason we are taking it, so I had to find a cheap hotel in New York. Well, cheap in New York means a room with two beds that shares a bathroom down the hall...your typical college dorm room. Actually, they are called hostels. Now, if I were in Europe, I might be more inclined to participate in this type of hotel living. But, I am not. So, I am less than thrilled at the cheap options in New York. I selected every area that was a possible option on priceline, expedia, cheaptickets...you name it, I tried it. Cheap hotels do not exist - well, unless you want to share a bathroom with other people you don't know. I think we have decided to nix the New York idea and just spend our whole vacation in Washington DC.

I heard from a friend at work that if you contact your congressperson, you can get tours of places like the capitol, library of congress, and the state department. So, I filled out the form. I haven't heard anything, but I sure hope my congressman come through for me. I think we will have plenty to do in DC. I am really excited about this trip. If you have any suggestions of things that are "must sees", please let us know.

Lastly, Paul and I had the opportunity to work on the Urbana.org team while at Urbana this past December. My job was to edit and write pieces that would be posted on the the Urbana.org site at later dates. I just saw that a piece I edited (our friend Pete wrote it) is up on the site...you should check it out. http://www.urbana.org/_articles.cfm?RecordId=1033

2 comments:

TheLudlows said...

What a great edited article!
I did miss Urbana this year. How was it in St. Louis?
We stayed in a CHEAP hotel in NY called the Hotel Manhattan in the garment district.
I havn't been to DC- have fun!
Charissa

Seth and Kristen said...

We're looking forward to it! There's so much to see and do in DC. I know you can also tour some of the diplomatic reception rooms in the State Dept, so you should check on that as well.