Monday, June 9, 2008

life as a new mommy

Well, life has changed! I've been a mom for almost 3 weeks (I CANNOT believe Jonas will be 3 weeks old tomorrow!), and it is nothing and everything like I thought it would be...

- first, labor and delivery and recovery is hands down the hardest thing I've ever done. Even though I had an epidural, I did experience painful labor prior to getting the drugs. I was on pitocin and my water had broke, so the contractions were strong and very frequent before it was my turn to get the epidural. I was in some pain for about 12 hours...the last 5 hours were much more manageable! Delivery was so overwhelming. When Paul and I first laid eyes on Jonas, tears were all we could muster. I also had no idea how sore I would be after delivery! It has taken just about this whole time for my body to feel a little normal again. But, it is all worth it.

- I had no idea how much our lives would be dictated by Jonas' eating and sleeping schedule - I use the word schedule very loosely since we really aren't on any sort of predictable schedule.

- I love Jonas so much. I knew I would, but I am not sure I knew it would be this easy to love him.

- Paul and I are the same people. I guess I thought we would magically change once we became parents. I have had so much fun getting to know Paul as a dad. It has been wonderful watching him in his new role as daddy.

- I've liked staying home and being a "house wife and mom". Paul and I have never filled the traditional husband/wife roles. I mean Paul will cook and clean, and I will help in the yard, etc. We have always done most things together. Since I am on maternity leave, I've actually liked doing the laundry and picking up the house. I haven't had to cook yet as we have been receiving meals from our friends (a HUGE blessing)...this week will be our first week without meals.
- I need more help than I thought I would, and I am really tired at the end of the day. Being a full-time mom is really hard work!

Here are a few pictures from the past week or so...
Jonas' first cookout...here he is with our friends, Mark and Mindy


father and son...this is the best way to sleep!


our sleeping baby

the thug life

making funny faces. I think he looks like Paul in this picture.

At our 2 week check-up, Jonas weighed in at 8 lbs, 1 oz. 21 inches long and a 14.8 inch head. He is in the 85% for his height and 80% for his head circumference...he must have big brains!

6 comments:

Jonathan said...

sooo, in the father/son sleeping pic, why is paul the only one sleeping:)

thanks for the update...it is hard to believe how much jonas has changed in only a few weeks!

lfhcreative said...

It's so fun to watch you guys as new parents and a new family. :) He is such a sweet baby!

Unknown said...

I love your honesty! Seth and I feel like every experience in life is better if you are just honest about it! Every month gets easier in terms of eating and sleeping and everyday more fun! Enjoy your time together as a family! Wish we there to bring over a yummy dinner!
love, Kristen

Sara said...

What a sweetheart! Looks like he just takes it all in whenever he's not sleeping!
I love that you're writing the highs and the lows - a few months from now it will be really neat for you to re-read what your thoughts and feelings were while he's so "fresh" and everything is so new!
Thanks for sharing! Hope you're feeling better each day, Sarah!

(on a side note - it took almost 8 weeks for me to fully recover, I mean sit down without wincing, after I had Caleb...but only a few days after Logan! There is hope!!)

H Noble said...

Glad you are loving mommyhood-its wonderful, isn't it? He's just so precious! Good pictures!

Wouldn't you say that even as much as your 'schedule' is dictated by him, and however your life is disrupted, its the best thing you could ever imagine?
Holly

TheLudlows said...

Yea for babies!!!!!
He's a cutie!!!! We don't have access to all the cute Tech stuff. That's a dirty word in College Station. 10 out of the last 13 is all I have to say!